Seeds Or Clones: Which Is Better For Growing Indoor Plants?
September 22, 2021
Seeds Or Clones: Which Is Better For Growing Indoor Plants?
There are many potential variables to consider when growing indoor plant. The first is whether you will start with seeds or clones. Each option has its own set of pros and cons, and you can either fail apically or experience great success with both. Here’s what you should consider when faced with the clones vs seeds debate.
Clones are cuttings from a mature plant that grow into new identical plants. They are sometimes called “starts.” Since they are exactly the same as their parent plant, they will inherit all of the features and characteristics of that plant. That means, if the parent plant had health issues, the cloned plant would also have problems from the start.
For that reason, clones should come from strong, healthy plants that are free from pests, bacteria, or any noticeable disease. It’s a good idea to learn about its parent plant’s lineage. That way, you know the potential yield, height, and flowering time. You can also ensure you are creating the ideal environment when you know your clone’s strain. When selecting your cutting, inspect the roots. Clones do not have a taproot. They develop secondary roots, which are also known as a fibrous root system. A clone with a well-developed root system is more likely to survive.
Advantages of using clones
- Your plant’s gender is guaranteed (male or female). If the cutting is from a female plant, the clone will also be a female.
- Compared to seeds, clones have a head start. Since they are cuttings from a mature plant and have an established root system, they will grow faster. This also means you will harvest sooner.
- A single plant can produce multiple clones, and that clone can create more clones. This, in theory, could create an unlimited number of plants.
- Clones are an identical match to their parents. Therefore, you already know what you are getting. By selecting a healthy mature plant, you avoid passing some of the parent’s defects and health issues onto the new cloned plant.
Disadvantages of using clones
- Compared to seeds, clones can be harder to find. You must know a grower, or live in an area that sells starts, while seeds can be easily found via online seed banks.
- Clones are susceptible to their parent’s health issues, which could include low immunity against pests, fungus, rotting of the roots, or even bacteria.
- Freshly cut clones must be handled carefully and are sensitive to light and nutrients.
- If cloned incorrectly, your plants might die or remain in shock for a long time, rendering them useless.
Seeds are the more natural route. Seeds are produced by the process of pollination. When pollen from male plants reaches a female plant, her flowers will include seeds. Unlike the flowers that are typically used for plant, these won’t form into large colas or have as many trichomes. The seeds are harvested from the flowers and used for growing new plants.
Seeds are nature’s way of encouraging genetic diversity. Each seed represents a cross between a male and a female medicinal plant instead of a single plant. Seeds may be created at random, or carefully bred by growers.
Advantages of using seeds
- Plants grown from seed have a taproot, which provides the plant with more support as it grows.
- Seeds are naturally resistant to pests and diseases; plants grown from a seedling do not have any inherited diseases or pests.
- Compared to clones, which are limited to the available mature plants in your area, there are many varieties of seeds to choose from, either online or in stores.
- Seeds can be stored for a long time (as long as the temperatures are right). Clones must be used, or they will die.
Disadvantages of using seeds
- Seeds are delicate while germinating and can be crushed easily. It takes some practice to get used to handling germinated seeds.
- For the first six weeks, the grower will likely need to pay more attention to their plants than with clones. They will need to determine the sex of their plants and remove any males if they intend to grow non-feminized sinsemilla.
- Unlike clones, seeds take time to germinate and reach the same height as cloned plants.
- Germinating seeds can be tricky if you are new to it.
You may need led grow lights for your indoor plants, eco farm led grow lights are very popular between growers because it's high quality. Here I want to recommend you several led grow lights.
- ECO Farm LED light strip is a full-cycle spectrum optimized for rapid growth and complete plant development. Tailored for growing plants from propagation to senescence (germination, clones/cuttings, mothers, vegetative and flowering applications) in indoor environments.
- ECO Farm upgrades LED is a high-performance, full-cycle top-lighting solution for commercial horticulture cultivation, with the power to scale from vegetative growth to higher light intensities in bloom. It was designed for commercial growers to push the envelope with high-PPFD cultivation practices along with sophisticated CO2 supplementation.
- Designed with Samsung 301B chip, higher light intensity, less light decay, better lumens and PAR values than ordinary LEDs. It runs at a lower temperature and can bring higher energy conversion and longer life. This grows light is a full-cycle lighting solution for all growing environments including wet situations and is ideal for greenhouse or indoor lighting.
- Flowering period: turn on the light for 12 hours, the humidity is 45-50%.
- 90° lens and beam angle adjustable provide large lighting area
- IP65 waterproof, can be use for outdoor lighting as flood light
- Excellent aluminum housing, best heat dissipation solution
- Flexible installation: wall mounted, ceiling mounted, suspending
- Unique design, top quality Led Grow Light.
- Optimized full spectrum best for growing and flowering.
- Environmental, low heat, low power consumption,energy-saving.
- Aluminium face shield design, cooling fan with aluminium alloy heat sink panel, good for heat dissipation.
- High quality and long service life, can light up to 50,000hrs.
- Very helpful to the growth of plants, flowers,vegetables,etc.
- Indoor led plant grow light perfect for greenhouse plants, plant enthusiasts, plant breeders, etc.
- Easy to install and use, plugging into the electric outlet(AC85v-265V) directly.
- One module with 50W true power, 400W with 8 module, 600W with 12 module. 800W with 16 module, 1000W with 20 module.
- LM301B one module with 72 beads: 59pcs of full spectrum beads+11 red beads+1 UV+1 IR
Whether you choose seeds or clones, you’ll want to give your plants their best possible start. ECO Farm has everything you need to grow indoor plants – from the rosin press to the trimming scissors.
If you have any other question about hydroponics system, welcome to visit our website: ecofarm.ca
Our emails address is: email@example.com
WhatsApp: +1 206 581 5521
Leave a comment